Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Penny A Pine Cone

Here is a classic Stone Family story for you:

Growing up, we always did chores... I actually really enjoyed them! Probably because Mom and Dad were great about incentivizing them. For instance: at our old house, we had two huge pine trees and, as pine trees are proned to do, these trees dropped pine cones on our yard. One of my chores was to pick up the pine cones to help keep the backyard tidy. Dad turned picking up pine cones into a business opportunity for me and would pay me 1 penny for every pine I cone gathered. Yep. Making the big bucks! But, it gets better-- for every 10th pine cone I picked up, I would get a penny bonus! I thought it was awesome! I will say that I'm pretty positive Dad threw in an extra few dollars as a bonus at the end of the day.

I remembered this story Saturday as I was in the backyard of my house pulling weeds and my sister Emily called. She had come inside from LAYING A PATIO with my brother-in-law Josh. Yes. They were laying their back patio themselves! I can only believe that it was chores like the penny pine cones that taught us to love working and around the house. It was a very satisfying day. My yard is weed-free and ready to be planted!
The yard before (still learning about using the ISO).

 View from the balcony of the cleared out backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment