Sunday, June 6, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!

It’s been a great first weekend in DC! Saturday I slept in a little bit and went for a run before lunch. I love living on Capitol Hill because I get to run around all of these beautiful buildings! Even at the end of July I don’t think I will be used to seeing the Capitol Dome, the Library of Congress, and the Supreme Court every day. When I ran Saturday there were people touring everywhere; it was funny to not be one of the people touring!


Sidenote: I think it’s really interesting that the Botanical Garden is right down the hill from the Capitol—I think Thomas Jefferson and our other “farmer” forefathers would be proud.


Saturday afternoon Valerye, Cat, Emily, Lauren, Nathan, Ben, Steven, and myself took the metro to what we thought was Baltimore… We didn’t think about the fact that just because the train took us to Maryland, it didn’t necessarily take us to Baltimore. We hadn’t done enough research to know that a shuttle came to the station so we split up into 2 cabs to head to Camden Yards! A $60 cab ride later, we were there. We made it to the Camden Yards (proudly designed by an MSU architecture grad and Kappa Delta sister of Lauren’s haha), though and got to watch my BoSox beat the Orioles!! It was my first Sox game and we got to see Papelbon warming up in the bullpen… it was great! We made it home late that night but travelled for a lot less than we did on the way out.





Top to Bottom: and I supporting the Sox; the girls at the game; 2 Bulldogs, Craig Tatum (Orioles Catcher) and Jonathan Papelbon (Red Sox Pitcher), talking after the game.


This morning we went to church at Capitol Hill Baptist Church that’s just a few blocks from TMH! One of the girls I’ll work with, Elyse is a member there and we met her there. They are renovating the church and it was packed. It was so encouraging to get to worship with some of my friends and other believers. They had a lunch for interns and an interns Bible Study will start Tuesday! I’m excited about hopefully getting involved with that.


Tonight we visited Grace DC, another church I had heard great things about. They had about 20 new members join and a baptism! That was also encouraging to see God working in the local church and bringing  people to make commitments to His church. We had dinner at Chop’t- this really great salad place, then headed home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment